Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Walking on Cobblestone roads . . . .


Hey Everyone!

Sorry about not explaining the pictures. I was short on time and I forgot. The bug is a huge centipede that we found in the stairwell of our appartment. As you can see, it was huge!! That´s the only one I´ve ever seen though. Usually we just find cockroaches and flies. Although the cockroaches have been declining lately. Which is good. I have no idea what kind of trees those are. The one that we climbed is the only one there and it is gigantic!! It reminded me of the trees in Avatar. The people here call it Polon, not sure what that means, but thats all I know. 

So this week wasn´t super exciting. We are actually kind of in the process of finding new people so our teaching pool isn´t very big. We have a couple people with baptism dates but they still haven´t come to church and we don´t know what to do with them. We spent a lot of time this week teaching members in order to get references and we actually got quite a few references which was good. The next step is to set up appointments with these people and the members so that we can start teaching them. We´ve really been having a problem with church attendance though. Yesterday we had 4 people come to church and none of them are our progressing investigators with a baptismal date. So we´ve been really focusing on that. We´ve also been having problems getting our investigators to keep our appointments. These past couple days we have been spending a lot of time walking through the streets, trying to find someone to teach. It´s been kind of frustrating and we are considering going to some different areas that we haven´t been yet that are further away. We´ll have to see though.

However, it wasn´t a bad week. And I´m still learning a lot. It is amazing to see the Lord´s hand in everything that we do. I´m beginning to recognize it more and more every day and it truly is a blessing to be able to serve here. This week I was studying in Alma 26, where Ammon is rejoicing in the success they had with the Lamanites. There are two things that I really like about that chapter that I´ve been thinking a lot about lately. The first is how much we rely on the Lord in our lives. Especially now as a missionary, I wouldn´t be able to help any of these people if I didn´t have the Spirit with me. I´m sure we could convince some people through scriptures, but they would never be truly converted. Without the Spirit, I would be wasting my time here. The other thing is how much the Lord trusts us. There is a couple parts in Alma 26 where Ammon talks about becoming "instruments in the hands of the Lord." This is so true. Everything that is done in the mission field, is directed by the Lord. Missionaries are just the tools He uses to accomplish his work. As missionaries, and as members, we need to allow ourselves to be directed by the Lord so that we can help His children come unto Christ. It's something I´ve been really trying to work on since getting here and I have seen the blessings that come of it every day.

I don´t really have much to write this week. Elder Bunderson received a Valentines Day package from his family with those Betty Crocker sugar cookie mixes and icing so we decorated Valentines Day cookies on Tuesday. Every once in awhile the power goes out and last night we ended up planning in candlelight again so we took some pictures. Just little reminders of life here in Cape Verde as a missionary. I´m still having a lot of fun and I´m really looking forward to what is going to happen. I talked to Brodie this week, he was in Praia waiting for his new companion to come from the MTC. He's doing really well and is in Fogo right now, training again. It was weird to think that we were on the same island for a couple days. It´s really cool to think how different it is out here. I´m out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a tiny island that hardly anyone has ever heard of. Even the sky is different! The moon is upside down and looks like the smiling face of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland some nights. It´s really cool. Anyways, it´s good to hear that everything is going well at home. Good luck to Shane in Zones. Have a good week!!