Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

When it rains, it pours!



É modi?

Man it has rained so much in Praia!! I think almost everyday in September it has rained and when it rains here, it doesn’t mess around. Saturday rained pretty much the entire day so I don’t think I was properly dry until night. But it is so green!! I wish I could go out to Assomada again because it has been raining a lot since July and apparently it is amazing out there! It was green when I got here but now it should be even greener. Praia is pretty green though and it looks pretty nice here. It’s still crazy to think you are all back in school already. I will definitely say that I am not missing school right now.

So I guess I’ll start with transfers. Surprise, surprise!! I am NOT being transferred. But that is good because I don’t want to leave this area. I don’t think I have ever wanted to leave an area yet... I’ve only had three. But our area is exploding right now and I don’t want to leave! I do have a new companion as Elder H has been shipped of to Mindelo to be Zone Leader in the North zone. I will be serving with Elder R as Zone Leader. He is from Wales so that keeps up my streak of foreign companions. He’s pretty sweet and I’m really excited for the transfer. Our whole zone is being changed around and we have a lot of new missionaries coming. We will have three greenies and four areas are being white washed. We’ve got high hopes for the transfer and our zone is going to grow a lot.

The rest of the week was pretty sweet. We had zone leader’s council on Tuesday and it was ALL DAY LONG!! 12 hours of training with President! We spent the first half going over the numbers for each zone and each dupla. I really realized how much you could learn from numbers. Obviously numbers don’t equal success but they do show where things are lacking. After though was probably the best part. President O let us into his office to see the transfer board! So we all knew about transfers all week. It kind of took away the suspense of transfer time but we were able to plan out for each dupla of missionaries in our zone for the next month. It was really hard not to say anything to the other missionaries, especially since the two new zone leaders were invited to the council but weren’t allowed to tell anyone why.

The only other thing that happened this week was B was baptized! He’s the friend of a bunch of the youth in our area and he is sweet!! This youth group is awesome and reminds me a lot of my group of friends from home. The only difference is the youth here are all baptizing their friends!! SO COOL! So he was baptized by one of his friends and is super pumped. He showed up to church on Sunday in a shirt and tie with all of his buddies and he received the aaronic priesthood afterwards. Our other baptism wanted to wait a week to be baptized with his sister so we only had one but it was a pretty sweet one. It’s so cool to see these new converts and watch as they share the gospel with all their friends and family. Definitely wish I had done that when I was at home.

That’s really all that is new here. Next transfer is going to be even better and we have a lot of work to do. We’re going to help this family, that we have been working with since I first got to Praia, get married and we’ve been finding a lot of awesome investigators. There are so many people who are ready and are getting answers to their prayers and all we have to do is help them prepare. It makes missionary work so easy!! Have a good week!

Love, Elder Dola