Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Monday, April 8, 2013

HELLO!


So sounds like your week off was busy, as normal. It seems rare that a week long vacation goes by with nothing to do but relax. I guess it’s better that way though. General Conference was awesome, as always. We did watch it in Portuguese and NOTHING weird happened!!! It’s a lot harder to pay attention when it’s in Portuguese though, even though I understand everything that they say. That’s another weird thought... I listened to 5 sessions of Conference entirely in Portuguese and I understood everything. It still seems weird to me at times but still pretty awesome. 

This week was new missionary week and we got 11 new missionaries!!! YES! I am not gonna lie, that has probably been the best part about being assistant so far. I wonder how weird I was when I first got here because they were funny! I forget that some things that happen here aren’t normal in other parts of the world, like a cow grazing on the side of the road in the middle of the city, but it was a lot of fun and they are really excited to be here. Our mission is growing fast and we now have 94 missionaries! The work here continues to grow like crazy and it’s really exciting to be working so close with the missionaries. 

So this week we had two baptisms, and one was a complete surprise! M, our investigator who was going to be baptized a few weeks ago but needs to get married first, decided after church last Sunday that she was not going to wait for her boyfriend. He works late all month and after that she decided that he is going to just have to live in his parents house so that she could get baptized. She was the most determined investigator I have ever had and it was really cool to see her get baptized. Our other baptism was V, a friend of C who got baptized last week. We were really blessed this week and there are so many awesome people here right now!! 

That’s about it for now. We’re going to Mindelo tomorrow to do divisions for a week. Dad, as for your MTC activity, I don’t really know. The biggest things that people have to adjust with are kind of hard to do in a youth activity. Some of them were: following a strict schedule, keeping the rules, managing your time, going everywhere with a companion... speaking Portuguese. I don’t know if that’s helpful but that’s all I got. Have a good week!