Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 29, 2011

Tudo bem minha familia!!
So I definitely haven't been getting some of the letters you have been sending. I think I've missed maybe two or three. But I did get the package which is awesome! Thanks so much! I really want to listen to music right now but I am not allowed until I get to the field but the speaker is perfect. I see C. almost every day at meal time but we don't get a lot of time to talk. So is R. going to Barcelona, Spain or the Dominican Republic?? Either way that is super cool. Although too bad he's not in Asia because then we'd have someone in every continent in the world. So this week was pretty busy and intense. Last Tuesday, Elder Christofferson and his wife came to talk to us and they both gave really good talks. And then on Thanksgiving, Elder Nelson and his wife came to speak to us which was also really cool. It's funny because you can always tell when an Apostle is coming because the lineups to get into the gym are huge and there are cops and security guards everywhere. It was a really neat experience though and I learned a lot. Me and two other elders were making guesses on who was going to come on Tuesday and Elder Christofferson was my number six pick so I won. Our last picks were pretty crazy though. I picked Captain Moroni, one elder picked the Three Nephites and another picked some other deceased Prophet. We're having fun though.
Other than Elder Nelson's visit, Thanksgiving wasn't that amazing other than we got a break from classes. Elder N. was sick all day from the food and threw up six times I think. He's better now but the food here really isn't that good. The only thing that you can count on to taste good is the salads and the ice cream. Other than that you just feel sick afterwards. But we are not starving and if you try you can have a decent meal. This week at lunch there wasn't anything good to eat so my district and another district ate an entire tower of frosted flakes. It ended up being about 63 overflowing bowls of cereal between about 12 people but it was fun. Except I don't think I'll be eating frosted flakes anytime soon. Elder P. ate 9 bowl and didn't feel too great after that. We have a really fun district though and I just got assigned to be district leader because our old one is now a zone leader with his companion. That means I get to go to meetings on Sunday, run district meetings and interview all the senior companions every week. It's not that bad though and I'm learning a lot from the experience. I have the same companion the whole time here and things are going well. Yesterday we committed one of our mock investigators to baptism which was really cool. Yesterday while I was teaching I was talking about receiving revelation through the Book of Mormon and words just started flowing out of my mouth. I wasn't stumbling and it made sense and I was able to say what I wanted to say and fast too. It was really cool. I feel like I just need to focus on learning as much vocabulary as I can and master some of the other grammar principles. I'm not too worried about the language anymore.
I sent you guys some pictures in the mail so I hope you get those. Not much else is going on here though. We teach two lessons a day, every other day and are constantly learning the language and studying our scriptures. I love study time because I am learning so much from the Book of Mormon. Days seem like weeks and weeks seem like days here. I still have five weeks to go and C. leaves for Boston next week on my birthday.
We've always been told to work hard and be serious but to always take time to relax and have some fun so that you don't get too stressed out. I think my district works really hard so I'm not to worried about it. We got a mini-fridge in our room one day randomly. None of the other rooms have one and I walked into the room to get my passport so they can get my visa and it was just sitting in the middle of the floor. We don't know where it came from but we are definitely using it. It's pretty sweet. Thats about all that is new from me. It's good to hear that everything is going good at home. I'm learning so much here and even though the days become repetitive we are trying to make the best of it. Even if the people who run the gym are on a power trip. I got in trouble one day because I jumped and lightly touched the rim. He said if I did it again I would get kicked out so I just play volleball most days. I love you all and I hope to keep hearing from you.
Eu amo voces!!
Elder Brandon Willam Dola