Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Tudo Fixe!


Hey everyone!!
All right so this past week was kind of an up and down week. The beginning was really good and we had a lot of lessons with our investigators. However, we are really having some troubles getting them to keep their commitments. This makes it hard to progress with them because we have to keep going over stuff again. We have one guy though who I think is really close to baptism. He is Nigerian and speaks English. We’ve been teaching him quite a bit and he comes to church all the time. On Saturday we had a really good lesson with him about the importance of baptism and the blessings that come because of it. We had a recent convert who bore really strong testimony of why he was baptized and the difference he’s seen in his life. It was so good! Now we are just waiting for him to pray to get and answer. He hasn’t done it yet but I think he’s really taking it seriously because he says he needs to make some time so he can really pray and search for an answer. He’s so close though!!!!!

Yesterday in the evening we contacted this one girl who seemed really interested. We taught the Restoration and she asked a lot of questions about why we are out here and stuff like that. She said that some missionaries talked to her family when she was a kid but she didn’t really pay attention and she didn’t remember anything. Unfortunately, she leaves in two weeks for Brazil for school. We’re hoping to teach her a few more times and then get her information so we can send it to the missionaries in Brazil.  Other than that though we knock a lot of doors and are really trying to help some of our current investigators to keep their commitments so we can teach some more stuff.

Cape Verde is super awesome though!! There have only been two days where it was hot. Not even that hot though. Apparently I am in the coldest part of the country right now during winter. It’s rather windy here and it hasn’t been too bad temperature wise. Not sure how long that will last though. It gets cold at night!! The people are really nice and almost always will let you in to talk. The people here are pretty short, although there are some tall people, just not very many. Crioulo is still very confusing for me. I have been mostly working on improving my Portuguese and I still can’t understand them when they start rambling in Crioulo. I’m sure it will come though. Someday. I’ve seen my mission president twice now since my first day. Although I think that is rare. He travels a lot. He came on Sunday with his wife for a house inspection and then he was here the week before for a baptism. Tomorrow we have a Zone Conference in Praia so I don’t know if I’ll see him there or not.

Today hasn’t been the most exciting p-day. We have to de-contaminate our kitchen because the cupboards are disgusting and we had an infestation of cockroaches. NASTY!! Apparently the house was even worse when my companion first moved in but we are almost done. We do have a fridge and we found some boxed milk last week. We probably won’t get it that often though because it is more expensive. I like my companion. He’s helped me a lot and he understands Crioulo so that also is good. We get along really well, and right now we are trying to change our teaching approach in order to find more interested people.

 I just got my first Cape Verde haircut and I’ve never had my hair this short. But I don’t have to do anything to it so it will be a bit easier to keep. Other than that I’m doing good. Just trying to learn the language, study hard and help as many people as I can. I still miss everyone and want you to know how much I love you all. I know this church is true. There is no other reason on earth that I would be here if it wasn’t. I’m so excited to serve and help the people here learn about the gospel. I hope everyone is doing well and I enjoy hearing what is going on at home.

Love, Brandon

PS I sent a letter last week. Let me know when it gets there so I can see how long it takes to send mail.