Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Holy Hotness!!


This week went by way too fast. We didn’t finish off the transfer quite as well as we had hoped but we still had a good week. Time goes by so fast and it seems like you don’t have enough of it to do anything! It’s crazy to think of how long I have been here already and yet, I still have so much more time to go. Transfers came and went and they were really not that exciting this time around. I am staying for a fourth transfer here in Achadinha as zone leader with Elder R. Also, other than the two elders who came in to re-open a closed area, our entire zone stayed the same. Not one missionary left. Not sure why but we’ve still got a lot of work to do so we’re pretty excited for the transfer! I’m starting to wonder if I will ever leave this island but I love it here so I’m okay with it.

Alright, best news ever. After 3 transfers of sacrifices, hard work and miracles, V and N were baptized!!!!! I’m not gonna lie, out of all the people I have baptized on my mission, this was by far the sweetest. I still remember the very first lesson we had with N when she felt the Spirit so strong that she started crying. The exact same thing happened the very first time we taught V. This family has gone through so many trials and have grown so much in the last 4 months and it was so amazing to witness this special day. I was privileged to be the one to baptize them and they were so happy! It was such a blessing to see as they left the water, beaming with joy and happiness. The Spirit was so strong and they both felt it. Everything that we went through, all of the struggles, all of the set-backs, all of it was worth it just to witness this special day. They were confirmed in church on Sunday and this week we are going to work to baptize their nine year old daughter.  V received the priesthood yesterday and he is so excited for the chance to baptize his daughter. I feel so blessed for the opportunity I had to work and grow with this family and I know they will make a huge difference to the church here in Cape Verde.

Other than that, we’ve got a lot of work to do. We’ve got some people getting ready for baptism during the first three weeks of the transfer and we’ve got to find some more to be baptized the last three weeks.  This transfer is going to be amazing and I’m so excited to keep working with these people. We found this man named A this week while walking in the street. I just had a feeling that we needed to talk to him and we made the contact and marked a day to teach him. He is a Christian Rationalist, whatever that is, but he felt the Spirit very strongly during our lesson and committed to be baptized at the end of November. We’ve got some work to do but he is very certain that Heavenly Father is going to answer his prayer and he is ready to change. It’s the little miracles like that that just make your mission such an amazing experience. I love this country and I love these people. This mission is so blessed and I feel so privileged to be here at this time. I love you all and hope you have a great week!