Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Monday, December 24, 2012

White Christmas?????


Well... it's almost Christmas. But it sure doesn't feel like it. There are a few houses with Christmas lights and I think they are setting up some sort of Christmas display in the middle of the city but other than that, it feels like a hot summers day. I love it here though and Sao Filipe is so beautiful. I think one of the things I am going to miss the most about living in this country is looking out onto the ocean everyday. There is just a different feeling here that is hard to explain.

Our week went fairly good but we have a lot of work to do before we can really start working this area to it's full potential. The members here are super willing to help but they all want to walk with us from 3-9 and that just doesn't work. So we're going to start training the members so that they can help us in a more efficient way. They are amazing though and everyday it just makes me love the people of Cape Verde even more. We didn't have a baptism yet but we will this week. We are teaching this man named D who is so humble and ready to change his life. He is super happy and we just hope that he returned from his brother's wedding already. 

We had zone conference this week and I was finally able to meet the rest of my new zone. I realized that being stuck on the same island for a whole year made it so that I didn't know hardly any of the new missionaries coming in. We have a pretty awesome zone though and big things are going to happen in the next couple transfers. Our zone has a lot of super young missionaries so our focus in zone conference was on atalaias (watchmen) and invites. Things that really make the difference in the success that you have here in this mission. Everyone has such a strong desire to serve and as we work together, we are going to get Fogo ready for a stake next year! We need to strengthen some of the branches in the next couple months with active, worthy priesthood leaders, but we are so close! I really hope I stay here for a long time. I kind of like staying in one place for a long time. It allows me to really get to know the people and serve them.

So to answer your questions... this week for Christmas, President and Sister O will be coming to Fogo and we are going to have a Christmas party. Nothing too big but just some time for games and food and stuff like that. As for teaching on Christmas day, I don't know how that will work. Last year they went out but I haven't talked to anyone who had much luck in finding people to teach that day.  I only received the first package, the one with the bag. I found a couple one dollar bills and a bag of cat hair for some reason but I haven't received any of the other ones. It's going to take a lot longer for me to get mail now that I'm not in the city with the mission office. I'm sending a package home today so let me know when it gets to you. I know it's super late and it won't get home before Christmas but I've really had no time. 

As for Christmas day, I will probably be able to Skype home. We can use the computers in the chapel but I don't know what time exactly so I'll have to let you know on Monday. We have to set up some sort of schedule because there are three other duplas that also need the computer. Other than that, I hope you have a wonderful week. Enjoy Christmas holidays and I'll talk to you all next week!