Elder Dola is serving a two year mission in Praia, Cape Verde, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Nha Bida Sta Fixe!


Dear Family,

So sounds like your week was pretty exciting. It is still weird to think that Shane is in the MTC already. I’m super excited for him though. I can’t believe that we have Spanish-speaking missionaries in our ward, which is now huge by the way! I’m definitely going to go out teaching with them and I’ll either just speak Portuguese or Crioulo which at times is really similar to Spanish. The work is growing in the entire world but definitely in our little islands here in the middle of nowhere. On Sunday the second stake in Cape Verde, this time in Mindelo, was officially organized and President told us that it was an amazing experience. I couldn’t be in a more amazing place right now to be sharing the gospel, the Lord is blessing these little islands and the Church is growing like crazy. 

So life as an assistant continues to be crazy as ever, it’s amazing sometimes that we ever have time to work in our areas. Last week we had Mission Leadership Council and Zone Conference in Praia, both of which were awesome. Our mission is moving in the right direction and we are making the adjustments to help all of these new missionaries that are coming in. We are losing a lot of old, experienced missionaries these next couple months and we are working to help strengthen the leaders here so that the work doesn’t slow down. Everything is going well though and we are really excited for what’s to come. 

So we are in Fogo right now and we are going to spend the week here. We have zone conference tomorrow with President Oliveira and then I am going to the North side of the island in order to go on divisions with the missionaries in Mosteiros. I’ve never been to that part of the island before so I am pretty excited. Plus the missionaries out there are really young and really awesome so I am looking forward to be working with them.

Other than that though, not much else has changed. E was baptized on Saturday and other than him walking into the font accidently before getting changed, (he thought it was the door to the bathroom and didn’t look before stepping in), everything went smoothly. We are on the last week of the transfer again and we have to get everything ready for the changes and the new missionaries that will be coming in next week. Lots of work to do but I’m super excited for all of it! 

I will try to call home on Sunday at 8:00 pm our time. I’m not really sure what time that is at home but I think it is just after you will be getting home from Church. We will try to use Skype if we can but if not I will just call. I love you all and hope that you have a good week!